Tuesday, January 26, 2010

This used to be my playground

Pretty glad to be selected for an upcoming photography workshop with Karin Geiger as part of a photography exhibition which will be showcased at 2902 Gallery (Old School, Mt. Sophia) from 6 Feb - 13 Mar '10. The exhibition is held by the Goethe-Institut Singapore, and workshop participants are expected to work on a personal series that relates to the theme of "Representation of the City".

Since I have something to push me... I decided to further develop my 'Playgrounds' series for the workshop. Playgrounds have always been a place filled with many childhood joys & memories for me. When I was young, the playground was a sort of getaway and escape. Swings and slides were my favourite!!

Sadly, many of the old playgrounds I used to love were torn down, paving way for newer and safer ones. To me, these playgrounds are an ironic representation of Singapore's urban development. As ironical as it seems, playgrounds are often linked to controversy for being a dangerous place - filled with accidents & injuries waiting to happen. As well as a place where social misfits hang out and pedophilia lurks ... Nonetheless, playgrounds are still a vital architecture stable in every housing estate for it's contribution to childhood development and public leisure.

Playgrounds 01
Playgrounds_old 01 - 2009


Playgrounds 02
Playgrounds_old 03 - 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment